Thursday, January 1, 2009

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

A lovely cold and foggy day here in Benicia . . . perfect for staying indoors with a fire in the fireplace, a good book (I'm currently reading "The Brass Verdict," by Michael Connelly), lounging on the couch wrapped in a blankie and with a cat or two on my lap. Bliss!
However, I'll be spending today working on my queue of unfinished projects. I started to make a written list of them all (knitted baby sweater, crocheted afghan, raggedy baby quilt, cross-stitch project-Sunbonnet Sue, cross-stitch project-hummingbird, sewing project-apron, sewing project-advent calendar, sewing project-twin size quilt...) and then I started to feel panicky that there were so many, so I stopped. It's pretty clear I don't need to buy materials for another project for at least 2 years!

I will need to go get some more batting because I'm a bit short for the quilt I'm working on right now, which has actually turned into two quilts since I had so much extra fabric. (I'll put the extra quilt away in my "Baby Hope Chest!") The fabrics I'm using are shown in the above photo. Aren't they sweet for a baby girl? I've made several of these ragged quilts and they sew up so quickly that you can easily make one in a day, including cutting out the squares. If you'd like to try one, the best set of instructions I've found so far are written by Gayla Carlson of Jubilee Homespun Fabrics. To go directly to the website page with the instructions, click here.

Just a Note: In her write-up Gayle mentions that you should use only homespun fabrics for ragged quilts, never the regular printed cotton. Good advice re the printed cotton; however, I've always used flannel (so far) for my ragged baby quilts, and they turn out very nice also.

So, back to the sewing machine - whoohoooo!

What are YOU doing today?? Please leave a comment and let me know!

No comments: