Thursday, July 10, 2008

Embarrassment can be the Mother of Determination

Tuesday evening I went to Jazzercise Benicia, as usual, for the 7:15 p.m. step class. The instructors always recognize and announce milestones in class attendance as each person reaches them. Toward the end of class our instructor, Jennifer, announced that I had reached the level of 25 classes. Twenty-five classes in SIX months???

How embarrassing!!!

It's never taken me this long to reach the 25-class mark in the six years I've been going to Jazzercise.

As I collected my handful of Hershey's kisses from Jen, and another lady received hers for having reached 100 (yes, one hundred) classes, I decided I needed to do something about my embarrassing and pathetic attendance for 2008. I mean, really, 25 classes in 6 months is only an average of 4 classes per month! Even subtracting 2 weeks for my trip to China, and another 2 weeks for my son's wedding, that's still only 5 classes per month. Ouch. Besides, it's ridiculous, now that I work from home and my schedule is totally flexible (and no more commuting to Napa), that I can't get to class more often than that!

So I've made a short-term goal of attending class EVERY DAY for the next 25 days, and after that a more long-term goal to attend a minimum of 4 classes per week for the rest of the year. I Googled Jazzercise Benicia's website and printed off their class schedule and stuck it to my fridge with magnets. I prefer step classes vs the regular jazzercise classes so I circled all of the step classes. There's at least one every day of the week. Perfect.And I'm off to a good start.

Yesterday I went to the 8:10 a.m. step class. Tonight is the 7:15 p.m. class that I regularly attend, and tomorrow I'll again go to the 8:10 a.m. class. I've already got my excercise clothes ready for tonight, as you can see from the first photo (Jack helped).

One day down, 24 to go!

No comments: