Sunday, December 28, 2008

To Resolve, or NOT to Resolve


Do you make New Year's Resolutions?

Some years I do, and some years I don't.

Anyone who knows me well knows that I change my mind from year to year on this subject. Some years I make well-intended resolutions - serious ones - only to have them peter out in a few weeks or, at best, a few months. Some years I only make resolutions I know I will keep, like eat three meals a day, and then reward myself for my success by eating 4 or 5 meals a day. And some years . . . I'm thinking this year will be one of those . . . I resolve not to make any resolutions at all.

Because why chance failure? I hate to fail anyway, and a self-imposed failure has got to be the worst failure of all. If I can't keep a resolution that I made for myself, knowing myself as well as I do, how can I ever expect to succeed at a task set for me by someone else?

Yeah, I feel like copping out this year. Especially after spending much of last year trying to live life a little more slowly and more thoughtfully. Resolutions to keep will just cause unneeded stress, right?

Still, making resolutions is a really good way to create good habits, finally complete (or at least make progress on) a long-desired goal, do something worthwhile, and most importantly, improve myself. So I'm waffling again.

What about you? Are you making resolutions? Help me decide what to do by leaving me a comment about your own resolution-making plans . . . or lack of plans!

No comments: