Saturday, May 10, 2008

Signs of Spring

Nothing more "springy" than a bird's nest with brand new eggs! I've been keeping an eye on a certain bush in front of our house where a house wren (I think!) has decided to set up housekeeping. When I first noticed the nest a few days ago there were only 3 eggs in it. Yesterday there were 4, today there are 6! It's seems strange that most of the eggs are bluish-white and 2 are speckled. It almost looks like two different birds are using the same nest. Could that be?? Or can a single bird lay eggs that look so different? And I always thought birds only laid one egg a day but two have appeared in the last 24 hours. I'm really intrigued by this situation. I guess I'd better get out my bird books and do some research. I also need to try to get a good look at the bird (or birds!) that is using the nest. She must hear us coming out of the house because only once have I actually seen a bird fly out of the bush, and even then I didn't get a good look at it. Every other time the nest is already empty of Mama Bird.This is the bush where the nest is, about 2/3 of the way up and slightly to the left. Not very high off the ground, which worries me as there are cats in our neighborhood! My own cats are not allowed to roam unattended but I know others are. Also, crows are known to be nest-robbers and have ransacked nests in the past. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll get to see these babies hatch and eventually leave the nest.
Some of my daisies in the front yards. Aren't daisies just the happiest flowers??? They're always so cheerful! Have a happy day!

No comments: