Thursday, March 6, 2008

Bookcrossing.com

I received these three things in the mail today from Bookcrossing.com; bookplates, bookmarks, and Post-It notes.

Yes, I have been blurfing again (blog surfing) and came across mention of this website. I love books so I had to check it out. The website is devoted to promoting the sharing and reading of books all across the globe. It's so cool how it works. Here are the directions, directly from the Bookcrossing.com website:

Grab a book, any book.

Register it with www.bookcrossing.com and jot its unique BookCrossing ID (BCID) down in the book, along with the website url. If it's already a BookCrossing book, you can skip this step.)

Read your book and then use the BCID to make a journal entry on it. You'll find a place to do that here on the home page or through the link on the left side bar.

Release the book out into the wild and wait for it to write home to you. (You can also give the book to a friend, send it on a book ring etc-- just be sure to make a release note on it when you send it off into the world.)

How fun is this for people who love books and sharing books??

I recently left a book in an airport in the hopes someone would pick it up and enjoy it as I had. This was before I found Bookcrossing.com. Now when I leave books out in the world I will be able to follow up on them and see where they travelled.

My first book will be going out very soon. I am registered at Bookcrossing.com as "Webajeb." You can follow my activities if you like. Also, you can "hunt" for books to see if any have been released anywhere near where you live. I found that coffee shops in Berkeley are a popular release spot! You can even hunt for a particular book title and see if any have been released, and where.

I'm thinking this might become rather addictive! I want to get my little town of Benicia on the map so my first book will be released right here in my own home town. Who knows where it may go!

No comments: