Monday, May 31, 2010

God Bless America

And Happy Memorial Day!

20100531_0010 copy 

I made this quilt a few years back.  I love it, and display it year-round. 

Because we’ve just been gone for two weeks, Mike and I had no desire to go anywhere this weekend.  So, instead, we spent the three day weekend watching movies - “John Adams,” “Ben-Hur,” and “Napolean Dynamite”- cooking up all the delicious produce we got at the Vallejo Farmer’s Market on Saturday, reading, surfing the net, and gardening.

Speaking of gardening, here’s an update on my little Square Foot Gardens.  Eensy broccoli heads are forming:20100531_0002 copy

The Swiss Chard is ready to eat!  As is the kale and a head of red lettuce:

20100531_0004 copy

And the corn is really starting to shoot up:

20100531_0005 copy

I also did some baking today.  The weather has cooled a bit from the heat of yesterday which just made me want to bake.  I found a big can of pumpkin in the pantry so, even though it’s summer and not fall, I chose to make a couple of decidedly fall-like treats: pumpkin bread (with cranberries) and pumpkin pie (sans crust because crust is just too much trouble and Mike doesn’t care if there’s a crust or not).

Here’s the bread, just about done:

20100531_0008 copy

Oh, and even though I’m vegan now, I used some of these today:

20100531_0009 copySometimes you just gotta have a treat.

Hope your weekend was a much fun as mine!

1 comment:

Laurel Eldredge said...

Thanks so much for coming to Bryce's game yesterday! It was great to see you guys again! It had been a while.