Monday, September 17, 2007

I'm Knitting Socks!


I'm knitting my first pair of socks! I have had this Eggplant yarn (and some Green Apple for the contrasting color) for nigh on to a year now. I bought it at Article Pract (www.articlepract.com) in Berkeley, CA.; it's Cascade 100% Superwash Wool and lovely to work with.

I put off starting this project because I'd never knit with double-pointed needles, let alone 5 at a time, and I was, well, intimidated! Nor could I decipher the instructions, being such a beginner knitter. Scarves are what I do best!

Well, yesterday, my sister, Karen, came over and helped me get started on the sock. She's THE knitter in my family these days, and has knit all kinds of things, socks included. I never thought I'd actually knit socks, but so far it's going well! I love what Debbie Stoller says in her book, "Stitch 'n Bitch," about using double-pointed needles; that it's "like wrestling with an octopus..." That's exactly what it felt like when I first started out. As Karen told me, though, it's all a matter figuring out how I'm most comfortable holding the needles, so I tried to relax and just move the needles around until they felt right. Now I can't believe I was so hesitant to try this, it's really fun!

The photo shows 2.5 inches of ribbing on my first sock. Since I took the photo I've added about an inch-and-a-half of stockinette stitch (which, by the way, is a breeze when you knit "in the round" because you never have to purl)! So I'm highly encouraged and I'm thinking I'll actually knit this sock! Of course, Karen may have to come back when it's time to turn the heel....
Knit on!

No comments: